By: Alex Haller
My skin is one of my biggest insecurities, so I’m constantly trying to find new products to treat it. This can be an exhausting process without proper guidance, but as a 20-something on a budget, it can be near impossible to afford a dermatologist. Luckily this week, I had the chance to sit down with my good friend Taylor Wynn, who does it all: she’s a model, a beauty guru, and now, an esthetician student! She’s answering the most frequent skincare questions we have, and dropping some makeup advice as well!
Alex: What’s the most important part of my skincare routine? What should I be doing everyday?
Taylor: Mine is to wear sunscreen, but also WEAR SUNSCREEN! What most think of aging is just sun damage. Including liver spots, deep wrinkles due to collagen displacement and other things.
A: What can I do about dark spots?
T: Hyperpigmentation can be helped with:
- Wearing sunscreen to protect from future damage
- Exfoliating with a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid (an alpha hydroxy acid or AHA) to increase cell turnover. Integrating a brightening agent to your routine is a good idea as well.
A: How often should I switch up my skincare routine?
T: Not often if its working for you! Integrate items one at a time if you feel like you need a change, but make sure to patch test, just in case you have a reaction to it.
A: What products are essential to my skincare routine?
T: Again, sunscreen. Other important aspects of a skincare routine: a cleanser appropriate for your skin type, and a moisturizer that is appropriate for your type as well.
A: What is the best order to apply my skincare products? What about my makeup?
T: The usual order for me is:
- Cleanser (oil cleanser first, water based second)
- Essences and ampoules (from most watery to least)
- (optional) Sheet mask!
- Moisturizer (to seal it all in)
A: What are your favorite skincare products right now?
T: My current faves are:
- 7 Days Vitamin Mist ($12.99 at CVS or online) – A spray mist that essentially seals in all the products. Makes my skin look super dewy and glowy no matter what moisturizer I have!
- Peach Slices- Citrus-Honey Aqua Glow ($11.99 at CVS) – A hydrating moisture-gel, perfect for combination or oily skin, but can work for any person that prefers a lighter moisturizer.
- Bliss Makeup Melt- dry/wet Jelly Cleanser ($9.99 at Target, $12 online) – This is a perfect dupe for the Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. You rub it in dry and wash it off wet, leaving you nice and supple! Really great for people who don’t have time to do a double cleanse.
These are all pretty cheap and easy to find! Most are available at Target, CVS, or online!
Taylor can be found on Instagram at @taylor.v.wynn